Manage Budget & Costs
Build an IT Budget That Demonstrates Value Delivery
Get the budget you need to enable IT to deliver to its full potential.
- IT cost pressure is fueled by negative sentiment; IT can be perceived as a high cost that does not deliver value.
- Budgetary approval is difficult because finance executives have a limited understanding of IT and use a different vocabulary.
- Detailed budgets must be constructed in a way that is transparent, but too much detail results in complexity that is confusing.
An effective IT budget tells the story of how IT is going to deliver value to the business.
- Make the business your partner to understand their future needs.
- Know how much money you’ll need and the value you’re going to deliver.
- Communication matters; present clearly and credibly.
- Help the organization make the right decisions by explaining the implications of its choices.
Impact and Result
- Knowing the initiatives business units will propose allows you to get a head start on forecasting IT costs.
- Presell ideas. Quick face-to-face chats about how a new initiative could benefit the organization can go a long way.
- Do not pad key innovation project budgets; building the case for approval is difficult enough as is.
- Forecasting operating costs requires an accurate view of historical costs and an understanding of how business changes will affect IT costs.
- Anticipate the questions that will be asked; discretionary projects are often criticized and challenged. Think about areas that people will focus on, do research, and be ready to respond intelligently.
- An IT department can’t squeeze dollars out of rocks. Tie cost reductions to service reductions and deferred projects.
radar ecosystem specialists
Hammarby allé 47
SE-120 30, Stockholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 8 12 20 80 00
Radar levererar produkter och tjänster till såväl leverantörer som köpare av IT. Våra insikter och tjänster skapar möjligheten att styra, inte med svansen och information om vad som redan skett, utan med information om nuläge, planer och prioriteringar.